Apple to replace the battery of select MacBook Pro laptops for free
Apple has announced a free battery replacement program for certain MacBook Pro models. Apple identified the issue with some MacBook Pro models that were not charging past 1%. It releases macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 to address the issue. This battery replacement program is available across the world.
MacBook Pro models that are eligible for the battery replacement will show “Service Recommended” battery health status. Here are the Macbook Pro models that are eligible.
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
If you have any of these models, check the battery health status. To check battery health status in Big Sur, follow Apple menu > System Preferences, click Battery, select Battery in the sidebar, then click Battery Health. If you are still running Catalina or earlier, hold the Option key and click the battery icon in the menu bar to show the battery status menu.
If your laptop is eligible, visit the Apple Apple Store or Apple authorized service provider for the battery replacement.