How to back up digital photos
If you happen to be a professional photographer, or a housewife, a student or an amateur photographer, any photo you click, holds value. The images reflect moods, memories or art work etc. which make them unique.
The First Digital Camera was built in 1974, and at that time it was mainly used for space programs. In the year 1995, consumer level digital cameras were introduced and ever since there was no looking back for digital photography and technology. Digital photos store images electronically and often these electronic storage devices can be faulty and there are chances that one can lose their photos.
Rs. 1500 off on Vivo MobilephonesVivo Five Year Celebration
A recent survey done concluded that 55% adults have lost files, yet most of them never back up the data. 75% respondents hinted that photos and videos happen to be their most prized assets yet people do not consider data backup important and rarely take data backup.
The major reason for not taking data backup is the lack of trust and understanding on the storage devices available. 12 % respondents chose online back up as compared to 37% who use HDD’s, DVD’s or USB’s. Despite losing data, the respondents did nothing to regain lost data or to seek expert opinion for data recovery of the lost data.
Digital photos are stored electronically in electronic storage devices like Hard disk, SSD, SD cards, Flash drives or USB drives. These electronic devices can give away and can result in loss of data. Enumerated below are reasons for data loss –
- Failure of mechanical components
- Sudden power surge
- Virus attacks
- Accidental deletion or formatting
- Incorrect system shutdown
- Plugging out the digital camera suddenly while copying photos
- Corrupt memory card
This can happen to anyone, so it’s better to avoid the disaster rather than repenting. Here are few suggestions to Store digital photos to avoid data losses.
- Using an External Hard drive: There are many external hard drives available in the market that can be used to back up your photos in a very convenient manner. They vary from their storage capacity ranging from few GBs to a lot of TB’s.
- Cloud Service: The usage of cloud service is a good option as it does not requires any external or a physical space. It is a cloud service company that owns a bunch of hard drives (servers), where the users pay and backup their photos over the internet. Install a cloud service and connect it with the hard drive, pay them a bit of cash and they will run automatically in the background. Every time a user will add a new file on the hard drive, that file will be uploaded on the server on its own.
Advantage: There is no need to remember to plug anything, user can get unlimited backup and also this will not require any physical space. As the files are stored off-site there is no fear of theft of photos.
- Online storage sites: Another alternative is to upload photos to a site that shares and displays the photos, such as Flickr, Picasa and Microsoft’s Windows Live Photo Gallery. Just install the application from the internet and start uploading and sharing your photos.
Advantages: This facility will let the user’s relatives to see the photos as well and can also download it on their end. This service requires no space except the memory space required to install the software and many free service can be upgraded with unlimited storage.
- Using CD/DVD’s: This is also a good backup facility but it may take some time. It is a good idea to replace online or external backups with manual backups to DVDs. Buy any number of DC/DVDs and put it in the drive and start backing up your files. But the user has to be sure to have a strict backup schedule.
Advantage: The saved files on DVDs can be kept together safely and can be carried anywhere. Unlike hard drives, CD/DVDs are a bit light and are portable.
- Making physical copies/printing: The photos can be printed and it’s a nice way to keep your memories intact. The photos can be given to any photo studio and the photos can be given in a printed form in an easy way.
Advantages: This is a nice way to keep copies of some of your favorite photos as they are also portable and can be carried anywhere you want. You can hold them in your hands and also there is no chance of them getting damaged unless it’s a natural disaster.
These above stated ways of backing up your digital photos are very easy and efficient too. But, in some ways they are also not very reliable. As mentioned above, the disadvantages and limitations associated with the above storage procedures are given:
- Using External Hard drive: hard drive comes with different storing capacity and is an upfront investment. Some may require a high storage capacity hard drive and that may be quite expensive. Every time you have to plug your hard drive even if there is software to run backups.
- Cloud Service: The user has to remember to sync the phone to the computer.
- Online storage sites: In online storage sites, there is no way to automatically start the back up from computer. Also there is a limited capacity and the pixels may be reduced sometimes.
- Using CD/DVD’s: When using CD/DVD as back up one needs to follow strict back up schedule, and are prone to errors like the external hard disks.
- Making physical copies/printing: This way creates an unforgettable memory but often making printed copies results in color fading in some prints.
These above reasons make it a no-no for everyone as there are some limitations associated with each of them. In this case, a photo recovery service is best option. The reasons to opt for this service are numerous, such as:
- Data Recovery engineers are professionals to provide seamless photo recovery from lost, deleted, or inaccessible digital images
- Recovery from reformatted memory cards or hard drives
- Recovery from media devices caused by fire, water or other physical damage
- Quick, convenient and cost-effective data recovery solutions
- Remote recovery service through a secure modem
In an unfortunate circumstance of data loss seek advice professional data recovery expert. The users need to understand only reliable and experienced data recovery services should be trusted for effective data recovery solutions. Stellar Data Recovery offers Photo Recovery service, no matter how bad the situation is, we can fix it and recover your digital photo. Only an expert can recover digital images from smart media damaged.