Apple Announces Important Security Updates to iOS, iPadOS, macOS, and watchOS
Apple has released important updates for iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, and macOS. Apple iPhone users need to enable this security update now. They may face losing control of their phones if they don’t update these security features. The iOS 14.5.1 update will fix a pair of vulnerabilities that would allow hackers to run commands on a victim’s iPhone.
Almost a week ago, Apple had released the most awaited iOS 14.5 update. It has a feature that allows iPhone users to unlock their phones simply just by wearing an unlocked Apple Watch Series 3 or later. During the covid-19 pandemic when everyone is wearing masks that block Face ID, this feature gives an easy way to iPhone users to unlock their handset. They don’t need to unlock their devices by typing in their Passcode after iOS 14.5 update.
iOS and iPadOS 14.5.1, watchOS 7.4.1, and macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 fix two vulnerabilities that exist in the WebKit browser engine. The vulnerabilities are listed as CVE-2021-30663 and CVE-2021-30665. Apple’s security update document states that this new update will fix a flaw where processing maliciously crafted web content may cause arbitrary code execution.
How to install the updates:
We always suggest taking back up your data before updating devices. It’s a good idea to secure data just in case the update causes problems. Connect your device to the internet to install the update. Here are the steps.
iPhone and iPad
- Open the Settings app
- Click on General and then Software Updates.
- For the installation, tap Download and Install.
NOTE: You can tap Learn more to read the release in Software Updates
- Click on the Apple menu.
- Select About this Mac.
- Go to the Overview tab if it’s not already open.
- Click on the Software Update button. This will open the Software Update system preference.
- Click on the Update Now button.
- The installation takes several minutes, and then the system will restart.
NOTE: You can click the More info link in Software Update system window if you want to learn more about the update.
- On your iPhone, open the Watch app.
- Tap General.
- Tap Software Update.
- The app will check for the update online.
- When the app finds the update, you’ll see a screen with the release notes.
- tap Download and Install.
Source: Apple Security Updates