Apple Announced iPad Air 2 with 10 inch display and Touch ID
Apple has unveiled its next generation tablet iPad Air 2. This tablet is thinner than its predecessors and is the thinnest tablet ever.
With 6.1mm thickness, iPad Air 2 is 18 percent thinner than original iPad Air.
Apple iPad Air 2 is powered by new chipset, A8X which was specifically created for this tablet. It uses second generation 64-bit architecture for better performance. Apple claims that it will be 180 times faster than original iPad. It also has M8 motion co-processor for motion tracking. It runs on iOS 8.1.
It has 8 megapixel rear camera which boasts to have 1.12 micron pixels, an f/2.4 aperture and 1080p video recording. It also supports slow motion video recording. FaceTime camera has also been improved with new sensor. Now it is capable of accepting 81 percent more light. It comes with burst selfies mode for capturing better self portraits.
iPad Air 2 also comes with TouchID, home button based fingerprint scanner for advance security. With TouchID, it also has Apple Pay payment service.
It offers Wi-Fi 802.11ac connectivity which is much faster Wi-Fi standard. Similar to iPhone 6, LTE version of this tablet now supports 20 LTE bands. This tablet will offer 10 hours battery life on normal usage.
Apple iPad Air 2 specifications
- 9.7 inch Fully laminated Retina Display with 2048×1536 resolution at 264 ppi, Antireflective coating
- A8 chip with 2nd gen 64-bit architecture and M8 motion coprocessor
- Wi‑Fi, dual channel (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and MIMO, Bluetooth 4.0
- 8 Mp iSight 1080p camera, f/2.4 aperture
- 1.2MP HD FaceTime camera, f/2.2 aperture
- 16/64/128GB variants
- Touch ID fingerprint sensor
- 27.3-watt-hour battery with up to 10 hours of normal usage
- 6.1 mm thickness,
- weight: 437 g (WiFi) / 444 g (WiFi + Cellular)
The Wi-Fi only iPad Air 2 will be available for $499 (16GB), $599 (64GB) and $699 (129GB). The WiFi + LTE variant costs $629 (16 GB), $729 (32 GB) and $829 (128 GB). It will be available in gold, silver, and gray colors. Apple will start taking pre-orders tomorrow and shipping will start next week.