Canonical Announces Ubuntu Edge, dual-boots Android & Ubuntu Touch
Canonical has announced first Ubuntu smartphone. This smartphone is dubbed as Ubuntu Edge. This ubuntu smartphone comes with features more than you can normally expect.
Ubuntu Edge runs on Ubuntu Touch software and Android as well. To build this smartphone, Canonical wants to raise $32 million (21.5 million pounds) on Indiegogo. It also claims to be the biggest crowdfunding target. The campaign intends to produce 40,000 units.
If you want to own Ubuntu Edge, you can reserve your unit only for $600. From tomorrow, it will cost $830. If you think that pricing of the smartphone is too high, you should also take a look on the features of the smartphone
It is powered by the fastest processor available in market. It features a 4.5 inch 720p screen covered in pure sapphire crystal. Company claims that this crystal is the hardest natural substance after diamond. It also features 4 GB RAM and 128 GB internal storage.
It also features a 8 megapixel rear camera that can capture bright images in low light. It has a 2 megapixel front camera. Ubuntu Edge comes with Dual-LTE, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC and GPS connectivity features.
Ubuntu Edge Key Features
- Dual boot Ubuntu mobile OS and Android
- Fully integrated Ubuntu desktop PC when docked
- Fastest multi-core CPU
- 4GB RAM
- 128GB storage
- 4.5inches HD sapphire crystal display with 1,280 x 720 pixels resolution
- 8MP low-light rear camera, 2MP front camera
- Dual-LTE, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC, GPS
- accelerometer, gyro, proximity sensor, compass, barometer
- Stereo speakers with HD audio, dual-mic recording, Active Noise Cancellation
- MHL connector, 3.5mm jack
- Silicon-anode Li-Ion battery
- 64 x 9 x 124mm